Recalling the Japanese manufacturer’s Edo period origins, the KIYA Shobu Izutsuki Japanese Chef Knife with Yasuki Shirogami Steel 210mm Blade is inscribed on its side to represent its rich heritage. Thin and elongated, the Shobu blade is named for the iris because it bears a strong resemblance to the leaves that plant. Its shape can be attributed to its role in cutting straight down the length of fish to produce slices of sashimi, while its edge is single-ground for the increased sharpness needed to handle such tasks. In contrast to most modern knives, the Shobu, also known in North America as a sushi knife, is made from separate pieces of Yasuki Shirogami carbon steel that has been heated and then hammered together using modern tools. Its handle is made from a combination of magnolia wood and water buffalo horn. Both are natural materials that recall the best of classical Japanese chef knife designs, being simple but elegant in that same simplicity.
Possessing both experience and a modern, innovative attitude, KIYA is a strong contender for the position of the best modern manufacturer of Japanese kitchen knives. Although other Japanese manufacturers might have had head starts in the rest of the globe, KIYA has been catching up with the assistance of the Versed Chef and other local retailers. Its strengths seem poised to make it as successful overseas as it is in Japan.
10-Year KIYA Limited Warranty. Inscription on blade reads: KIYA Shop. Box reads: Nihonbashi. High quality kitchen knife. Kiya Special Selection.
Blade length: 8.27 inches (210 mm)
Total length: 13.58 inches (345 mm)
Made in Japan
We offer Free Shipping for all orders to the contiguous United States; some conditions apply. Eligible customers must select the FREE SHIPPING - $0 option on the shipping page, during the checkout process, to take advantage of the offer.
Unfortunately, because of high shipping costs, we cannot offer Free Shipping for:
- Orders outside U.S.A. and Canada.
- Orders from Alaska, Hawaii, US Military Addresses (APO, AFO, etc).
- Orders from Canadian Territories (Northern Territories, Yukon and Nunavut).
For more information about shipping policies click here (opens in a new tab).
We will offer a full refund or store credit for unused products if returned to us within 100 days of the delivery date. New, unused and unopened (for items that come in sealed packaging) merchandise will be refunded in full. Please note that:
- Products must be in their original packaging, with all manufacturer seals intact. We cannot accept any products with missing or torn packaging.
- For hygienic and safety reasons, we unfortunately can't accept used products. Merchandise damaged by the buyer is not eligible for refunds.
- Products returned 60 days after purchase will receive store credit, since a refund will not be granted by the financial institutions that process credit card payments after that time period.
- The buyer is responsible for returning the items, and the refund will be issued only after we receive the merchandise. So we encourage our clients to send the return through a shipping method that provides insurance and tracking number.
- Refunds cover the price of the purchased products. Shipping charges and taxes on the shipping charges are not refundable.
For more information about return procedures click here (opens in a new tab).